Thursday, May 17, 2012

Fredericksburg, VA

I am not really a history fan, but Fredericksburg was on the way so I thought I would check it out. 

 

Approximately 3,000 Confederate infantrymen were lined up behind this stone wall for about 600 yards, and another 3,000 were on the slope behind it during the Battle of Fredericksburg in the Civil War.  Only a small portion of the wall is original.

Notice the house in the above picture.  It is the Innis House.  Most of the exterior was replaced, but the interior is still pockmarked with bullet holes from the fighting that was all around it.

As I mentioned, I’m not into history, so even though there were more battlefields, I decided that this one was enough.  I do like stories about people during the war.  Such as the one about Richard Kirkland   http://www.brotherswar.com/Fredericksburg-6.htm

But part of the Fredericksburg National Military Park was a bit more “green”.  I did a bit of walking, and saw a few more interesting  historical things.

It’s a bit hard to see in the picture, but this is one of many confederate trenches.  Some of them were fairly large and long, while others you could barely tell they were there.  In looking on-line, there is a debate as to if they have been  restored.  Many believe that there was some restoration done in the 1920’s and 1930’s (perhaps by the CCC) , but what I read was there was no wide-spread restoration.  And I saw a lot of trenches.  I can’t image, 1) building these by hand and 2) using these as protection from battle.

Cannons on Dead Horse Hill.

I was only in this historical area for a couple of days.  My next stop was Washington, DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment