Monday, May 28, 2012

Amish Country, PA

My next stop was in Intercourse, PA.  I know strange name, but that’s the name of the town!  May 6 – 13 I stayed at Beacon Hill Campground, which was surrounded by farms.  This old truck was at the entrance to the campground.

I love looking at farms, this one was just across from the campground.

Depending on the wind, the manure smell could be interesting.  Actually one day I had gone somewhere and left the fans on in the RV, so that it was pulling air from the outside into the RV.  When I got back to the RV, my propane detector was going off.  I immediately opened the door and it smelled as though several cows had been living in my RV.  After a few minutes it aired out and no more alarm.  I suppose it was methane??  It really wasn’t bad, you got used to the smell very quickly.

There are a lot of covered bridges in the area.  I started a tour of about 8 of them, but the weather messed up my plans.  I only got to 3 of them before I decided it wasn’t worth driving around in a storm!

Longwood Gardens was not too far from the campground, so I decided to visit one day.  It is a beautiful garden with several fountains and lots of flowers.

 

They were preparing for an upcoming event – Light Nights, and were making some of the light structures.  They were using bottles of water and fiber optics to make these.

You can see the finished products at http://www.longwoodgardens.org/   The lights are in picture 3 of the automatic rotating pictures. 

I enjoyed driving and biking the back roads looking at the farms.

My next stop was Woodland, PA.

1 comment:

  1. Pam that is too funny about your propane detector. Made me laugh - thanks!

    ReplyDelete