Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Deer Lake, Newfoundland

Note – this is the second posting of the day!

I ended up leaving St. Anthony a day early because the day I was supposed to leave it was supposed to be extremely windy and it is not fun driving an RV in those conditions.  So I ended up in Deer Lake, NL for 2 nights rather than the one night I had thought I would be there.

Since I had some extra time after doing laundry and grocery shopping, I decided to check out the Newfoundland Insectarium and Butterfly Garden which was just across the street from the RV park that I stayed at.   I wasn’t sure what to expect because the outside was in the shape of a barn.    But I really enjoyed it and was much more than what I expected.

While most of my photos are of the butterflies I spent more time looking at the insects from all over the world.  The different sizes shapes and colors were amazing. Below is from the upper level looking down at the main insect level.  Lots of things to look at!

nl_deer_lake_insectarium_6

nl_deer_lake_insectarium_1nl_deer_lake_insectarium_2nl_deer_lake_insectarium_3nl_deer_lake_insectarium_4nl_deer_lake_insectarium_5nl_deer_lake_insectarium_7

When I got to the level with the insects an employee was showing an insect to a young couple.   The employee looked at me and said “You don’t want to hold him do you”?  I laughed to myself thinking he thought that some old lady would not want to hold it.  But I did.  It was the Thorny Devil Stick insect above which  is a juvenile about 3 – 4 inches long.   This was a great way to spend a couple of hours!

 

nl_deer_lake_ext

I saw a couple of these at the campground in St. Anthony and to be honest I didn’t know what they were.  This one is on the side of the bathrooms at the RV park in Deer Lake and says Fire Extinguisher, I have never seen one like this.  On the other side of the building they did have a more updated version like we are used to in the states. 

I had told myself that I would stay up to date and I have not.  I need to post my La Scie and Twillingate blogs.  I hope to get to the La Scie blog (more icebergs!) in the next couple of days.  I just got to Bauline South (about 30 miles south of St. Johns, Newfoundland) today (June 30).  I have already seen puffins from my RV Site, but not close enough for pictures.  More on this when I write the blog!

1 comment: