Tuesday, June 30, 2015

St. Anthony, Newfoundland–part 3

Most of my walking in the St. Anthony area was on short trails to overlooks.  In Great Brehat, NL there was an overlook that I enjoyed and visited several times.  Below are pictures from those visits, the first was taken on the drive there. 

nl_sa_great_brehat_drivenl_sa_great_brehat_nl_sa_great_brehat_iceberg5The picture below was taken just 15 minutes or so after the picture above.  The fog moved in very fast.  nl_sa_great_brehat_iceberg3nl_sa_great_brehat_view2I found the iceberg below on my first visit to Great Brehat, it was huge.  I went back the next day and it had floated on down the coast.  I later learned it broke in half in Goose Cove in view of those walking along Pumley Trail.  nl_sa_great_brehat_view

I have mentioned that I went to St. Anthony Bight park several times.  Below are a few pictures from that area -- 

nl_sa_saint_anthony_bight2nl_sa_saint_anthony_bightnl_sa_saint_anthony_bight_my_glacier

The last picture is the same iceberg as in the first in this group, but taken days later (from a different angle) and has melted quite a bit.

I like looking at the fishing villages, particularly the old fishing shacks -

nl_sa_something

One day I visited L’Anse aux Meadows, which is the first authenticated Norse (Viking) site in North America.  I am not into history, but how they lived at that time appeals to me.  nl_sa_lanse_aux_meadows1

nl_sa_lanse_aux_meadows4

While the actual sites were reburied after studying them, they reproduced several of the buildings to show what they looked like. 

Scenes from Pumley Trail in Goose Cove, NL -

nl_sa_pumley_cove_trl_viewml_sa_pumley_cove_iceberg

Newfoundland definitely has a different way of life.  Two things that I thought were quite different are below.  Since most people live at the coast where they have very bad soil and live very close to each other, they can not garden at home.  So they are allowed to have roadside gardens, which are just gardens along the roads.  They were just starting to work the soil when I was there.  The fences are to keep out the caribou. nl_sa_roadside_garden2

Also, beside the roads I saw stacks of wood.  Some stacked nicely like the one below, while others were just thrown into piles.  I learned that they can file for a permit and then cut wood from certain areas.  Because where they cut it may be away from any roads, they typically move the wood in the winter in sleds like the one pictured below pulled behind snow mobiles. nl_sa_roadside-woodnl_sa_same_plant_as part1

In part 2 of my St. Anthony blogs, I posted several pictures of small plants  One of them was a very small version of the plant above.  This one was probably 6 – 8 inches high and very bunchy.  An interesting plant!

I have many more picture that I planned to share, but I think I have covered most of St. Anthony in these 4 blogs.  From St. Anthony, I was planning to go to La Scie, NL with an overnight stay somewhere in between.  Because of very windy conditions in St. Anthony forecast for the day I planned to leave, I left a day early and spent 2 days in Deer Lake, NL.  So my next blog will be about that quick stop.

Note – this blog was written several days ago, but I was having problems getting connected to the internet on my PC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment