Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Florida and Alabama, 2017

I received a few emails asking if I am still traveling, yes I am still traveling.  I just haven’t blogged in a while for several reasons –  PC issues, lazy, health issues  …. I am typically a few months behind in the blog,  but I have never been years behind!  I am more than 1.5 years behind, sorry! 

Anyway, I am going to attempt to get caught up in the next couple ofmonths.  Luckily much of 2017 were repeats, so I won’t write too much about where I was.

I started off 2017 going back to Grayton Beach State Park in Florida, then headed to Gulf Shores State Park in Alabama.  I like this park because of the adjacent Hugh S Branyon Backcountry Trail.  They added a few short additions to the trail since the last time I was there.

A nice place for a break on the trail --

Gulf_shores_bike_break

A mom gator was just a few feet from the trail.  I did see a couple of babies one day.

Gulf_shores_bike_trail

One of the new additions is just behind the RVs in the park. 

Gulf_shores_new_bike_trail

While here, I biked more than I walked because I was still trying to get over an inflamed Bursa on my foot.  Luckily it is a great place to bike.

From Gulf Shores, I went back into Florida to St. Andrews State Park in Panama City.

The view from behind my RV is below along with several other shots from the park.  

St_andrews_from_my_rv

st_andrews_deer3

st_andrews_deer4

st_andrews_deer5

The boardwalk to the overlook at  the pond where I liked to bird and gator watch. 

st_andrews_dont_know

This gator is probably 5 – 6 feet long.  He would come out and sun himself every day just off the boardwalk and overlook. 

He seemed to have an itch and was scratching himself in the picture below. 

st_andrews_gator_2

Open Wide -

st_andrews_gator1

The gator swam for a while with a piece of Bamboo on his back.  Then he went through some duck weed before climbing back to his spot still with the bamboo on his back. 

st_andrews_gator20

 

st_andrews_gator22

st_andrews_bird

I had fun watching the Green Heron, that is one of my favorite birds and I saw him several times. 

st_andrews_grn_heron12

st_andrews_grn_heron13

st_andrews_grn_heron14

st_andrews_blue_heron_ngator

Biking to the pier was part of my morning routine.  I was luckily enough to see some Manta Rays from the pier on a few days. 

st_andrews_pier

st_andrews_manta_ray

st_andrews_manta_rays

On the day I left, I walked one of the nature trails and saw the snake below.

st_andrews_snake

After St. Andrews, I went to Topsail Hill Preserve State Park for a couple of weeks.  While there I enjoyed the beautiful beaches and biking in and outside of the park.

topsail_beach1topsail_beach2

A pretty snake on the trail.

topsail_snake_on_trail

While in Florida, I started having some back and leg problems.  I was looking for Doctors in the area, when I realized that I would be back in Georgia in a few weeks.  So I made an appointment with a Doctor I had been to before for March.  It would be about a 6 hour drive from Jekyll, but I decided going back to a known doctor was worth it.  More on that in the Jekyll Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment