Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Sun City, AZ and Montclair, CA

I came to this area to get several things done to my RV.  I am making 3 posts for Sun City.  This one will be mostly about my RV, the next two posts will be about the fun stuff I did while there.  This will be a first for me, no pictures in this post and lots of verbage. Writing is not something I enjoy or do well, but I felt other RVers might be interested in what happened.   I should have taken pictures of some of the repair work, but I didn’t.  

I had an appointment at RV Glass Solutions in Phoenix to get them to remove and clean some fogged dual pane windows in my RV.  I arrived on Sunday and parked behind their shop.  On Monday morning, after a few guys looked at my windows I was informed that some of my windows were too bad for them to clean.  I knew this was a possibility but I didn’t think they were that bad.   They offered the alternative to replace the windows, but if I was to replace the windows I decided I would have Lazy Daze do it so I could get the same type of windows.  So now I have to decide if I want to replace them.  At least I got a free night stay, with an electrical hookup!

So I headed to Sun City staying at Paradise RV Resort for almost 3 weeks.  This isn’t really my type of park, this is a huge park mostly with park models and a some rented spots.  I did enjoy the big pool. 

While in the Phoenix area, I got new tires for my RV at Firebird Tires in Phoenix.  If anyone needs new RV tires, I strongly recommend them.  They know RVs, unlike many tire shops.  Fellow Lazy Daze folks will know about the Tireman valve stems and these guys were impressed by them.  They have their own valve stems that were very close to the ones I had installed by the Tireman.  They did replace 2 of mine.  They can also weigh RVs, which all of us should do.

They noticed I had a problem that I thought had to do with the tires.  I don’t know technical stuff about cars and RVs, but I think this is close to correct!  My drive line was very loose and I was told the u-joints needed repaired or replaced.  They suggested I call Rouchneck Repairs to fix it.  He is a mobile automotive repair guy.  Another great service that I would recommend.  He quoted me a price and even though it took him much longer than he thought, the only increase to the original quote was the price of some parts, no additional labor.  My RV rides so much better.

I had planned on taking my RV to Lazy Daze in Montclair, CA after my Phoenix visit.  I made the appointment several months ago just for them to look at my RV where I thought I might have a leak.  After they looked at it, we would determine what needed to be done and schedule the appointment for a repair, if needed.  Now I also wanted to talk to them about my windows.

Well, a few days before I headed to California I walked around my RV and heard a hissing sound on the drivers side.  I opened the refrigerator vent and it was definitely coming from this area.  I immediately turned off the fridge, unhooked everything and headed to the closest RV shop (about 10 minutes away).  I wanted them to see it while it was still hissing.  A guy came out and very quickly knew what it was, he told me to smell it.  I had been keeping my distance but I didn’t have to get to close to smell something like Sulphur.  As many RVers know if this happens it likely means the fridge needs replacing.  I was told it could be repaired, but it is within a few hundred dollars of a new fridge.  Since my RV was 10 years old I decided to go with the new fridge.  This shop told me it would be 3 – 4 weeks before they could get a fridge and get me scheduled.  Since I already had my appointment at Lazy Daze I called them and luckily they had a fridge and said they could replace it for me. 

I headed to California, where I stayed at the East Shore RV park not to far from the Lazy Daze plant. I showed them why I thought I might have a leak, they could not find anything but he did explain a few things it might could be.  (I have since realized that one of the items I was carrying in the outside compartment was pushing against the compartment door.  Since I rearranged things it has not leaked).  I also told him about the windows.  After talking with him I am doing nothing about them for now.  They really aren’t that bad.  I might have them replaced in a few years.  They replaced my fridge, fixed a couple of minor problems in addition to searching for the leak.  They did all that for  about $400.00 less than what the Phoenix shop had said it would cost just for the new fridge.  In addition, having them replace the fridge was best because they knew exactly how to do it in my Mid-Bath Lazy Daze.    The fridge is too large to go out the door and must go out a window.  I have read that some people remove part of the window to make it fit, but the folks at Lazy Daze knew how to make it fit.  They removed the valence above the window, but not the window itself.  Within about 3 hours everything was done.

For fellow Lazy Daze folks, I talked with Vince about their future.  There have been rumors that they would not be open for much longer.  Not because of a lack of business (they have so many orders the wait to get a new Lazy Daze is very long), but for other reasons.  Anyway, I couldn’t get anything out of Vince.  I tried several times and different ways, it kind of felt like they had been told to say nothing.

From here, I made an overnight stay in Las Vegas, then to Utah for a few weeks before heading to Florida. 

No comments:

Post a Comment