Monday, August 27, 2018

Florida & Alabama, 2018

After mom’s arm was better, I headed down south for the winter.  Most of these places I have visited and blogged about previously, so I will not be writing much.  All of the places below I visited from mid-January to mid-March. 

Grayton Beach State Park –

grayton_beach_sp1_thumb

grayton_beach_sp2_thumb

Topsail Hill State Preserve – While in Topsail, my legs and back started bothering me again.  Not as much as when it was at its worst last year but enough to cause me to change some plans.  During daily walks I would walk a while, then sit a while.  Then I would continue, but for shorter distances.  I was trying to learn to live with my Degenerative Disc Disease.

topsail_beach_sp1

We had some bad weather, but it makes for some beautiful scenery!

topsail_beach_sp2topsail_beach_sp3

On one walk down the beach, my legs were really bothering me so I just sat on the sand.  I don’t usually do that, when at the beach I usually bring a chair!  But I enjoyed a nice break sitting on the sand and started bringing a sheet to sit on during my walks.  I enjoyed watching the wildlife during some of my breaks.

topsail_beach_sp5topsail_beach_sp6topsail_beach_sp7

topsail_beach_sp11

On my last few days at Topsail, there were a good many Man o’ Wars on the beach.  Enough that the second day, they put up the warning flag about stinging and dangerous marine life.  Several of them were still moving, it was interesting to watch them.  

topsail_beach_sp9topsail_beach_sp10topsail_beach_sp12

Since I made my Florida reservations late, I had to bounce around a bit.  I ended up making a reservation for 5 days in the middle of February at  Blackwater River State Park.  It is located in Holt, Florida about 35 miles North East of Pensacola.  A day before I was supposed to go there, I received a call from the park letting me know that all the recent rain had caused some flooding in the area.  The campground was not flooded, but some of the roads to it were closed as were most of the trails in the park.  They gave me the option of cancelling, but as a full time RVer, I needed a place to stay so I went ahead with my plans. 

The campground was really nice.   Full Hookups for a much better price than the state parks that I have been staying at on the beach.  I think it was $20.00.

The road I would have used if the state park had not called me with the other directions--

blackwater_river_sp1

After the boardwalk trails opened, the river was still very high covering up part of the ramp at the river. 

blackwater_river_sp2

Another nice thing about this park is that it was close to the Blackwater heritage State trail, a nice rail trail that I biked on twice. 

I stayed at several other parks in Florida and also at Sugar Sands RV Resort in Gulf Shores, Alabama.  I like staying at the state park in Gulf Shores, but you must plan a long time in advance to get reservations at that park.  While in Alabama, I drove to theHugh Branyon Trails bike trails that I have posted about in the past.  While there I kept an eye on the eagle nest and finally saw the 2 eaglets I had been told about.  They are in the nest just below the adult eagle. 

gulf_shores_eagles

No comments:

Post a Comment