Thursday, October 1, 2015

Corner Brook, Newfoundland–part 2

On one of my day trips I enjoyed a great scenic drive and a couple of great hikes.

The first hike I went on is called The Gravels.  This area is the sand isthumus that connects the island of Newfoundland to the Port-au-Port Peninsula.  The trail starts on the isthumus and then continues along the coast.  It is known for it’s great scenery and fossils.

 

nl_corner_brook_thegravels2

nl_corner_brook_thegravels3

nl_corner_brook_thegravels4

nl_corner_brook_thegravels5

nl_corner_brook_thegravels6

nl_corner_brook_thegravels8

nl_corner_brook_thegravels11

nl_corner_brook_thegravels12

nl_corner_brook_thegravels13

nl_corner_brook_thegravels14

The trail ends at some type of quarry, so I turned around and enjoyed the trail for a second time on the way back!nl_corner_brook_thegravels9

Another great coastal trail!!

I also went to Sheaves Cove, which has a short trail to a waterfall and more scenic, rocky coast.  I had read that this is privately owned and they just enjoy letting others visit.

nl_corner_brook_thegravels15nl_corner_brook_sheavescove2

A view from the parking lot looking over the valley and in the distance the waterfall.nl_corner_brook_sheavescove1

nl_corner_brook_sheavescove3

 

 

nl_corner_brook_sheavescove4

nl_corner_brook_sheavescove5nl_corner_brook_sheavescove6

nl_corner_brook_sheavescove7nl_corner_brook_sheavescove9

A creek (or river) runs down the rocks and into the ocean.   nl_corner_brook_sheavescove10

From Corner Brook, I headed to Doyles, NL which will be my last stop in Newfoundland.  It was also the first place I stopped when I got here in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment