Thursday, July 30, 2015

Bauline East, Newfoundland–Part 2

 

In addition to Humpback and Minke whales, we saw birds from my boat tours around Witless Bay Ecological Reserve

My Puffin pictures did not come out as well as I had hoped, but I knew I was going to a place in a couple of weeks were I would hopefully get a closer look.  This area is North America’s largest Atlantic Puffin colony. 

nl_be_mb_puffins_thumb3

Puffins and Murres are not very good fliers.  It was fun watching them try to get away from the boat taking many “steps” before they could fly. nl_be_mb_puffins3_thumb1nl_be_mb_puffins6_thumb1nl_be_mb_puffins7_thumb1

nl_be_mb_puffins10_thumb2nl_be_puffin_under_Water_thumb2

 

A couple of day there were thousands of Murres -

nl_be_mb_murres99nl_be_mb_murresnl_be_mb_murres98nl_be_mb_murres96nl_be_mb_murres5

Below is our guide and all the other passengers for one of the trips.

nl_be_mb_group

St. John’s is known for their colorful and close together housing.  The downtown area is very hilly, reminding me of parts of San Francisco.

nl_Be_stjohn_town2nl_be_stjohn_town3nl_be_stjohn_town1

I did go on one other big boat trip, but because I wanted to see the scenery from a different area. 

The city of St. John’s from the boat--

nl_be_sthohn-fromtour

The Battery in St John’s – a neighborhood on the slopes of Signal Hill where now many artist live.nl_be_stjohn1

 

Part 3 will finish up my blogs from Bauline East. 

I went hiking a couple of times while there, both times on the East Coast trail.  My favorite was to La Manche (a community that was devastated by a storm and then abandoned).

No comments:

Post a Comment