Saturday, October 8, 2011

Munising, MI–Part 1

My next stop in the Upper Peninsula was Munising, Michigan.  This area is home to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  I have been here before, but just for a quick day or 2 stop.  This time I stayed for a week at the Munising Tourist Park which is on Lake Michigan.  Below is a picture taken at the campground of a dog enjoying a day at the beach!

mun_dog_lake

I took a lot of pictures while here, so I will have to break this into multiple blogs.   While in Munising, I took a cruise, went on many hikes and enjoyed several beaches. 

I visited Miners Castle several times during my stay.  When I saw this years ago, it had one additional “turret”, but it fell off several years ago.

mun_pr_miners_castle_1 

mun_pr_miners_castle2

The color of the water is an amazing blue and so clear you can see the many rocks below the water. 

Below is a shot of Miner’s Castle taken in the morning -

mun_pr_miners_castle_morning

A close up view of Miner’s Castle and Grand island in the distance -

I visited several waterfalls in the area.  The first is Miner’s Castle Falls.

mun_pr_miners_castle_fallsSable Falls is another waterfall I visited.  I actually visited this one twice.  On this trip, I found I really liked the town of Grand Marais (about an hour drive east of Munising), so a week later I ended up camping in Grand Marais and about a mile down the beach from my campground was a short trail that went to this same falls.  I’ll blog about the Grand Marais trip later. 

mun_pr_sable_falls

Wagner Falls -

mun_wagner_falls

Grand Sable Dunes is an area between Grand Marais and Munising.  I did a bit of hiking around the dunes. 

I saw a strange looking berry and found out that it was a Wild Dune Cherry.  I was told you could eat them, so I tried one.  At first I thought they were great, but within a second it turned extremely bitter. 

A road sign that I never saw in Georgia!!

My next blog will be pictures that I took on my cruise.

1 comment: