Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Grand Marais, MI

As mentioned in a previous blog, I visited Grand Marais while staying in Munising and liked the area.  So I decided to go back for a few days.  I stayed at Woodland Park, which is right on Lake Superior.  This beach is known for it’s rocks – especially agates.  I found plenty of interesting rocks, but no agates! 

Another busy day!!!  Sitting at the beach, looking for rocks!  - Note the tan-line.  The “Z” comes from my Chaco Sandals, which I wear a lot!   Just up the beach from the campground is a huge white sand beach. 

An interesting RV pulled into the campground the day before I left.  I have never seen anything like this--

grand_mar_rv

Just up the beach was Sable Dunes and Sable Waterfall (pictures posted in my Munising – part 1 Blog).   The hike to the waterfall from the campground was nice, since part of it was on the beach and part in the woods. 

While in Grand Marais,  I went on another hike in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  This time to White Pine Trail.  I enjoyed the hike and the destination was one of the prettiest beaches that I have seen. 

Beautiful white sand, with rocks (and shade) on one end of the beach. 

I also did the short hike to Au Sable Lighthouse.  While walking around the lighthouse and buildings, I meet a couple that had lived very close to where I grew up.  Small World!!

grand_mar_lthouse

On the hike, there were several side trips to the lake.  There have been several shipwrecks in this area. 

grand_mar_lthouse_ship_wreck

One of the big reasons for the wrecks is the rocks that go for quite a distance from the shore. 

The campground is a very short distance from the town.  I rode my bike to town, around town and to the Coast Guard Station several times.  It was less than 10 miles to do all of that.  On the ride I passed an interesting Winnebago. 

This was my last stop in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  So one last picture of the rocks at the beach!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos. I'd love to have some of those beach rocks.

    ReplyDelete