Thursday, October 13, 2011

Munising, MI - part 3 - Pictured Rocks Lakeshore Trail

While in Munising, I decided to hike part of the Lakeshore/North Country Trail.  I hiked from Miner’s Beach to Mosquito Beach, I think it is 6 – 7 miles round trip.  It is a fairly easy hike.  Basically level on the cliffs overlooking Lake Superior.  The only non-level sections were climbing up the cliff and back down to Mosquito Beach and then back up and down when headed back to Miner’s Beach. 

The trail starts off with rocks, trees and ferns.  Then the trail gets closer to the Lake.  This part of the trail has several side trails that lead to good views of the Picture Rocks Cliffs.

mun_pr_hike_2

mun_pr_hike_arch

After going down the cliff to Mosquito Beach, I spotted this driftwood hut.    The next 3 pictures were taken from my lunch spot at Mosquito Beach. 

mun_pr_hike_lunch2

mun_pr_hike_lunch

mun_pr_hike_boot

The above is me being lazy.  I’m sitting on a rock at Mosquito Beach eating lunch, enjoying the great view!!

mun_pr_hike_dune_ladder

The stairs/ladder leading back up the sand dune to get back to the trail looked strange, but was a big help in climbing up!

I enjoyed this 6 – 7 mile hike (round-trip) so much that I went twice!

My next stop was Curtis, MI which is only a little over 50 miles from Munising.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so beautiful the pictures look so inviting! But then there's that name . . . Mosquito Beach . . .Sends shivers down my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't say if the beach lived up to it's name. Looks pretty there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No mosquitos while I was there!

    ReplyDelete