Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Boone Bay, Newfoundland

I am interrupting this late blog for a live update!! Pleinguy asked if I was still in Canada and I thought I would let everyone know.  I left Newfoundland August 20 and toured a bit through Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick. I left Canada and made it back to the States last Sunday (Sept. 20).   After I  finish my postings from Newfoundland (probably another 2 or 3 blogs), I will do a Newfoundland summary and thoughts blog.  I really enjoyed it and can see going back in several years. 

Back to the regularly scheduled program (or blog)-

I had originally planned on staying somewhere else, but after hearing some good comments about The Water’s Edge RV park in Boone Bay (Next to Woody Point as some maps don’t list Boone Bay), I decided to stay there August 6 – 9. 

The campground itself was just ok, but the view was nice, as the name says it was on the water’s edge.

A nice sunset, taken from my RV spot --

nl_boone_bay_sunset

A yacht cruising the bay in front of my RV--nl_boone_bay_yacht

While here the main thing that I wanted to do was to visit the Tablelands in Gros Morne National Park.  This area is one of the few places where you can walk on the Earth’s mantle!  A very long time ago Africa and North America collided and pushed some of the earths’ mantle above ground.  Below is a piece of the earth’s mantle.  The rock is really a dark grey/green, but once it gets to air, the outside of the rock turns rust colored.  

nl_boone_bay_gros_morne_tablelands_mantleSerpentine rock -

nl_boone_bay_gros_morne_tablelands_serpentine

I decided to take one of the ranger lead walks in this area so I could learn about what I was seeing.  I enjoyed it, but unfortunately I have forgotten 95% of what the naturalist said!

The earth’s mantle --

nl_boone_bay_gros_morne_tablelands1

There is still a little bit of snow left in the hills, we were told this is very unusual, but as you can see by what everyone is wearing we are still experiencing cold days.nl_boone_bay_gros_morne_tablelands2

nl_boone_bay_gros_morne_tablelands3

After I left the area, I realized I should have taken one of my feet shot (typically relaxing somewhere).  So I went back the next day and I can now say that not only have I stood and walked on the earth’s mantle but I have also sat on the earth’s mantle!nl_boone_bay_gros_morne_tablelands4

I also went to Trout River a couple of times, once just walking the boardwalk and enjoying some scallops.  The other time, I did a small hike on the Eastern Point Trail.   The trail went up the side of a cliff and then followed the cliffs edge for a while.  A nice easy hike with good views and purple fringed orchids!

nl_boone_bay_eastern_point_trl1nl_boone_bay_eastern_pointtrl2nl_boone_bay_eastern_pointtrl3

I also went to Lobster Cove Lighthouse.  The lighthouse was ok, but I really enjoyed the trails and the beach.

nl_boone_bay_lobster_cove4

Me relaxing at the beach --nl_boone_bay_lobster_cove5

Another Purple-Fringed Orchid, but much thicker than the one I saw at Eastern Point Trail --nl_boone_bay_lobster_cove3

One afternoon/evening I looked out my RV and noticed something.  Sun Dogs!!  I had seen them before but these were really nice.

Sun dogs are the 2 bright spots on either side of the sun.  They are caused by how the light interacts with ice crystals.  nl_boone_bay_sundogs

In addition to sun dogs, there was also a Circumzenithal arc (CZA), along with a halo.  The CZA is sometimes called the smile in the sky.  It kind of looks like an upside down rainbow.  Ok, I admit, I knew Sun dogs, but I had to look on the internet for Circumzenithal arc!!

nl_boone_bay_sundogs andcrv

From here, I headed to Corner Brook for a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment