Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Kodachrome Basin State Park, UT - part 1

It’s hard to believe, but even though I was only at Kodachrome for four days I am going to break this into 2 parts (I was there in the middle of May).   Actually, after my first pass at all my photos for this area, I had  pulled about 70 photos for this blog.  I have narrowed that down some, but I still am posting too many just because I enjoyed it so much! 

Kodachrome is known for its sandstone rocks and chimneys and the colors of these formations.  They also have about 70 sedimentary pipes or spires that geologists don’t know the origin of.  There are several theories, but I like it when scientist admit they don’t know something!

Below is my RV at my campsite with one of the spires in the background --

other spires and scenery in the park –-

One of the first trails I hiked in the park was Angel’s Palace Trail. 

Below is the campground as seen from the trail --

Another view from the trail -

Another trail I did was the Grand Parade Trail.  Below is the same view as above, except it is taken from ground level.

While hiking, I saw something rather interesting.  Do you know what it is??  I will tell you in a few pictures--

On this trail, you can take side trips into 2 box canyons.

Standing in front of this cliff, I heard some birds so I started looking around.  I didn’t see the birds I heard, but instead I saw this -

If you look at the cliff, you will see a small hole just above the green tree in the middle of the picture.  That is where I saw the Great Horned Owl.  After walking around one of the box canyons, I went in front of the cliff again, on another part of the trail and saw this --

From my first view, I could only see mom.  From the second part of the trail, I could see mom and baby.  I suppose I should say fledgling, as it really isn’t a baby anymore.  I later found out that she had 2 “babies” and in looking at the picture before this one you can just make out some white fluffy thing behind her and I am guessing that is the other one.  I spent probably 20 minutes watching them and it seems as though they were watching me.  The trail was ok, but seeing the owls made it a great hike!

One day, I took a long drive.  I started down a 40+ mile dirt road called Cottonwood Canyon Road.  My first stop was at Grosvenor Arch. 

From under the arch, the view is quite different --

While under the arch, a few small rocks fell and I quickly moved away from the arch.  Who knows when, but at some point it will fall and I didn’t want it to fall on me!

The road was not great, but I took it slow and enjoyed the scenery.

Below is the serrated ridge of the Cockscomb fault --

A wildflower I saw on one of my short walks--

After this scenic drive, I headed to the Rimrocks, which is an area of badlands and hoodoos.  I went for a hike in the Toadstools area.   For a while I followed the wash for a while, then I moved to one of many trails in the area. 

After passing several blooming cacti and enjoying the colors in the rocks, I got to the hoodoos--

The hoodoo above is called the Toadstool Hoodoo and is the most famous one in the area.

From the back of the formation, you can actually see 2 hoodoos.  You can just make out a person to the bottom left of the smaller hoodoo. That gives you an idea as to the size of these hoodoos.

From this hoodoo, there isn’t really a trail. I just wandered around and enjoyed the scenery.

It was rather warm that day and I found a bit of shade near a cliff.  While taking a drink, I examined a hole in the cliff.  I am always amazed at how erosion works.  Below is the hole and inside the hole

 

 

 

 

 

Just as I was getting ready to leave a bunch of kids showed up.  I was glad I was headed out.  Later I saw 3 school buses in the parking lot.  What a great field trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment