Friday, August 5, 2011

Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park–part 2

Sometimes while at Lake Superior, I feel like I’m at the ocean. 

I went on a small hike that wasn’t that great, but saw one of the most imaginative signs at the trail head.

Maybe it’s just me, but I thought a huge shovel at a trail that is around an old mine was smart.

I read a couple of places that Lake of the Clouds was one of the most scenic areas in the park.  I liked it, but I liked other areas better.

I hiked down to the lake and would have gone further, but it was one of the hot days so I decided not to go to far since I had to hike back up the hill.

An area just outside of the Porkies is the Black River Harbor area in the Ottawa National Forest.  This area has more hikes and waterfalls, the first is Potawatomi Falls.

Gorge Falls -

While not the largest falls, my favorite in the area was Sandstone Falls.   I liked the falls and the area around the falls. 

Note the person on the rocks on the right side of the falls, that gives you an idea as to the size of the falls.

I found the conglomerate rock interesting, and the erosion here created a small arch. 

I read about another waterfall close to my campground, so I checked it out one afternoon.  When I got there I thought it was ok, but not too exciting compared to the others in the area.

But then I realized that you could walk out on the rocks  (the ones on the right of the picture above) and get a close-up view of the small falls.  I ended up enjoying my time here.

From here, I headed up into the Keweenaw Peninsula for a week.  I’ll stop in Houghton, Mi first and then head to the top of the Peninsula and camp in Fort Wilkins State Park in Copper Harbor, Mi.  More about that in my next blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment