Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Sevier, UT–Fremont Indian State Park part 1

In late April on my way North, I stopped for a few days at Fremont Indian State Park in Sevier, Utah.  I stayed in the Sam Stowe Campground where there are 7 or 8 Full Hookup sites.  Most of the sites needed a good bit of leveling, but I found one that wasn’t too bad. 

This state park had some great “brochures” which I downloaded to my phone.   Using these, I found many petroglyphs and pictographs.  Some required short hikes, while others were along the road. Also, there were many that were not in the brochures I downloaded.  I enjoyed the search for this ancient art.  The main road in the park is basically an access road to I-70 so you can see the interstate and traffic quite often. 

Even though it is next to the interstate, it is out in the country.  2 of the 3 days I was there I got caught by thousands of sheep.  One of those days, I was sitting on a bench beside the road looking for petroglyphs.  One of the cowboys (?sheep herders?) rode up to me on his horse and said I could stay there as the sheep would go around me, but I decided to sit in my car as they moved by. 

 Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp33

Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp34

I started at the visitor center.  The main loop is paved, but there are several trails off of the main loop. 

Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp1Heading up on the Court of Ceremonies Trail - Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp3_court_of_cerm1Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp2Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp4_court_of_cerm2

A cyclops!  The eye is a bullet hole.  

Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp5_court_of_cerm4

Kilt Man -

Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp18

Newspaper Rock - Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp19Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp7Looking up at one of the cliffs from the road. --

Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp8Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp9_canyon_of_lifeSevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp10_canyon_of_lifeSevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp13Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp14Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp15Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp21

Below is one of the newer petroglyphs.  This one is called Hunkup’s Train.  The brochure said that Hunkup was a Paiute (who didn’t live here, but traveled through the area regularly).  During the 1870’s Hunkup took a train to Chicago and then came back and documented his journey on the cliffs.  Below there are trains and 2-story houses. 

Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp22Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp24Sevier_ut_freemont_indian_sp26

  

See next blog for the rest of this trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment