Monday, November 12, 2018

Hurricane, UT–part 3

I visited a couple more petroglyph sites in Southwest Utah.  One of them was the Santa Clara River Reserve.  I hiked about 3.5 miles and didn’t see some of the petroglyphs that I had seen online.  I knew some of them were below the ridge of the hill and I went down in some places and found a few, but I know I missed quite a few. 

hurricane_ut_santa_clara_river_reserve2hurricane_ut_santa_clara_river_reserve1hurricane_ut_santa_clara_river_reserve5hurricane_ut_santa_clara_river_reserve6

hurricane_ut_santa_clara_river_reserve8

The above trail was marked well and I found information about it easily online.  The next petroglyph site I visited, was a bit harder.  This one is not marked, but I pieced together information from various sites and I found where I thought I was supposed to park and headed up the hill.  I was beginning to think I was in the wrong area, then I saw this -

hurricane_ut_gunlock_reservoir_petroglyphs10

a small human figure carved on the rock in the middle of the picture above.  I was looking for a specific petroglyph that I had read about.  So I kept looking, then I found it!!

hurricane_ut_gunlock_reservoir_petroglyphs1

Going around this one I found what I was looking for.

hurricane_ut_gunlock_reservoir_petroglyphs6hurricane_ut_gunlock_reservoir_petroglyphs7

hurricane_ut_gunlock_reservoir_petroglyphs8

While I was a bit out of the way, I had visited Valley of Fire State Park previously and wanted to go back so I did.  It was just over 100 + miles from my RV park, but so worth it!!!  I love rock formations and the different colors in the rocks, this is the place for me.

The first hike I did was the Mouse Tank Trail.  Lots Hurricane_ut_valleyoffire_sp43of beautiful scenery and petroglyphs.

Hurricane_ut_valleyoffire_sp44Hurricane_ut_valleyoffire_sp45Hurricane_ut_valleyoffire_sp47Hurricane_ut_valleyoffire_sp49Hurricane_ut_valleyoffire_sp50Hurricane_ut_valleyoffire_sp51Hurricane_ut_valleyoffire_sp52 More Valley of Fire pictures in Hurricane, UT – part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment