Friday, August 28, 2015

Bonavista, Newfoundland–part 2

When I was here before I did not have time to hike the Skerwink Trail.  I really wanted to do this trail, it is very popular and has been listed in Travel and Leisure’s top 10 hikes in North America.  I don’t know about that but the people that keep the trail up do a fantastic job and it is one of my favorite trails in Newfoundland.

 

nl_bonavista_skerwink_1_d2

nl_bonavista_skerwink_2

nl_bonavista_skerwink_3

I was a bit concerned when I saw The caution sign above that says “expect cliffs, steep climbs and uneven trail beds”.  I had seen one rating of his trail that said moderate to difficult, while another said moderate.  After walking the entire trail, I would say it should be moderate, maybe even easy to moderate.  If heights bother you, then it might be higher as several times the trail is very close to the cliffs.  nl_bonavista_skerwink_4nl_bonavista_skerwink_5

nl_bonavista_skerwink_7

nl_bonavista_skerwink_8

nl_bonavista_skerwink_9

nl_bonavista_skerwink_10

nl_bonavista_skerwink_11

It’s very hard to see, but to give some perspective to this there are people in the picture below.  See the tree that is on the point in the center of the picture.  There is a bench just to the right and down the hill a bit with 2 people on it.  Don’t forget you can click on any picture to enlarge it.nl_bonavista_skerwink_12

nl_bonavista_skerwink_13

nl_bonavista_skerwink_14

nl_bonavista_skerwink_15

nl_bonavista_skerwink_16

3 people are on the boardwalk headed up the hill in the picture below.  I know they are hard to see but for me it makes it easier to understand the size of the area.  nl_bonavista_skerwink_17

nl_bonavista_skerwink_18

nl_bonavista_skerwink_20

nl_bonavista_skerwink_21

nl_bonavista_skerwink_22

Close to the end of the trail you can see a small lighthouse and the town of Trinity.  Great trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment