Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Moab–Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point State Park

If you have been to Canyonlands National Park before, you may remember that there are 3 different sections to the park – Needles, Islands in the Sky and the Maze.  This trip, I went to the Needles and Islands in the Sky. 

My first full day in Moab, I drove down to the Needles section.  On my way there, I stopped at Newspaper Rock, which is a petroglyph panel.  They believe it has about 2000 years worth of petroglyphs on it, dating from BC time to AD 1300. 

Note the feet in the above picture. I had to include this since I sometimes post pictures of my foot on the blog.

From a roadside overlook, I saw the Wooden Shoe Arch and other interesting formations.

Then I went for a hike on the Slickrock Foot Trail.  I enjoyed this trail and scenery very much, until the wind picked up.  Towards the end of my hike we were having 30 – 40 mph gust, which makes for an interesting walk!

Note the small arch in the picture above!

A few days later, I went to the Islands in the Sky section of Canyonlands.  Below are a few pictures from some of the overlooks. 

I had heard that the view at Mesa Arch was spectacular at sunrise.  I used to get up very early, but these days getting up and being about 45 minutes away from my campsite by sunrise sounded way too early!!  I got to the trailhead about 1.5 hours after sunrise and took the very short walk to the arch. 

I visited Dead Horse Point one day and did a short walk along the rim trail.

When we visited Moab in 1999, we went on a jeep tour through part of the Maze.  I’m glad we did because the path we took is no longer accessible by jeep trail and we saw some arches that now requires about a 20 mile hike.  I am looking forward to looking at my photos from that trip when I get back to Georgia later this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment