Friday, May 31, 2013

Grand Junction, CO

I had a few days between my Moab, UT and Zion National Park reservations.  I decided to go a bit out of the way and go to Grand Junction, CO.  I wanted to visit the Colorado National Monument and also be in a town that had a decent size grocery store!!  I was there at the end of April. 

The first day I was there, I headed to the Monument.  There are 2 tunnels carved into the rock that have a 10’ 6” Clearance or at least that’s what the sign says.  I think I saw some RVs in the campground that were taller than that, but I don’t think I would take a chance!   My guess is 10’ 6” is at the edges of the tunnel, the middle of the tunnel was probably a couple of feet higher.  

Above is the Independence Monument.  Below are some climbers on top of the rock and one almost at the top.  It was a long way up for them!

While in the park, I walked a few short trails close to the rim.  I enjoyed watching some birds enjoying the winds that were blowing like crazy.  I finally saw one that was still long enough for me to get a photo.  I believe it is a Violet-Green Swallow. 

Other Views from Colorado National Monument -

Above is a view of the Coke Ovens.  On my second day, I did the scenic drive again and at the parking lot for this overlook were a few search and rescue trucks and lots of other cars and trucks.  Someone must have been lost or hurt or a training was going on.  I hope it was a training, but it made me think about how easy it is to get hurt on some of these trails.  

Also on my second day, I enjoyed going to Walmart since there is no Walmart in South Eastern Utah!  From here I headed back across Utah to Zion National Park.  

Note – I am extremely behind in blogging.  I am currently in Huntington State Park in Utah and I have internet through my Verizon wireless card.  For the last 2 weeks, I was in Torrey, UT.  At that campground my wireless card could not pick up anything and the wireless (from My location) was not great.  Anyway – enough with the excuses.  I hope to post several blogs in the next few days.  But in an hour or so, I am off to 9-mile canyon to see a bunch of pictographs and petroglyphs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment