Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Moab, misc–Part 1

When I was here before all I did were the parks, but there are so many other things to do within an hour or 2 of Moab. 

One day, I drove to several Rock Art locations.  I had picked up the “Moab Area Rock Art Auto Tour” brochure from the visitor center. 

The first place I visited was the Golf Course Rock Art panel.  This was just a short drive from my campground.  Interesting characters --

I also drove down the Utah Scenic Byway 279, where there is not only Rock Art sites but other interesting things to see.  The petroglyphs date from AD 1 to AD 1275. 

The above looked like paper doll cutouts.  The petroglyph below is a large bear, with a couple of hunters  and big horn sheep around him.

On this drive the river is on one side of the road and the cliffs on the other side.  This is a very popular are for rock climbers.

Further up the road, I saw some fossilized Dinosaur Tracks. The footprints are slightly smaller than a human’s head.    While I am not into dinosaurs, I found the tracks very interesting.

I also went down Kane Creek, where there are several locations with petroglyphs.  My first stop was at Moon Flower Canyon.  The petroglyphs were ok, but this is what caught my attention--

The bottom picture is looking up the crack in the rock, which you can see in the top picture.   There are 5 or 6 logs in the crack.  Looking at the top of the bottom picture you can see the log are zig zag like.   The sign said “Historically, and prehistorically, this method was used by local inhabitants for gaining access to higher areas”.  I’m not exactly sure what prehistorically means, but I thought it was a smart way to get up the cliff.   I have since seen on the web that people still use these logs to get up the cliff.  (Link to log climbers and moonflower canyon)

Continuing on down the road, I saw several places where someone had created large holes in the rock.  In one, it looked like they were creating a house.  They were working on this one and I thought that perhaps the house you can see is the front of another hole.

Continuing down Kane Creek road, I ended up on a dirt road going through a canyon.  It was a beautiful drive.

I got to where I was headed.  I had read about a rock with petroglyphs on 4 sides.  The rock was in a pretty canyon.

On the left side of the rock, you can see a birthing scene.

In my Arches blog, I mentioned that one day we had snow.  While RVs with slides may have more room, the slides can be problematic.  Twice in the last couple of months I have seen slides not sliding in correctly.  Then my neighbor was leaving the day of the snow, but the snow caused him a problem.  He had to get the snow off the slide before sliding it in.

Another reason not to have a slide!!

Someone in the group above made the snowman below on their picnic table.  I’m not sure if it is a Mexican snowman or a cowboy snowman.  I am leaning towards a snowman in a sombrero.  It was only about 12 inches tall, but I thought he was cute.

I am trying not to eat out too much, but had heard good reviews about the following place.

I ended up getting quesadillas from here twice.  They were very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment