Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sanibel Island

Once again, I am way behind in posting this blog and I am again blaming it on too many pictures.  I took so many pictures of the sun rise and sunset that I have yet to figure out which ones that I like best.  So I finally decided that I just need to post some and move on. 

I was on Sanibel Island for 4 weeks in December.  For the first time in a year, I had a bed not on wheels.  I rented an ocean-front condo.  One of my favorite activities was sitting on the screen porch – relaxing, reading, watching for dolphins…!

Most of my days consisted of walking 5 – 8 miles in the morning, biking 12 – 28 miles, swimming, reading and relaxing.  It was a great 4 weeks!

Sanibel does have one campground that I have stayed at previously.  I happened to be biking through the park when they were putting on a bird talk, so I stopped and listened for a while.  The lady talking was very educational and showed us how they clipped a bird’s wings.

A highlight of the talk was to let kids (and some adults) hold some of the birds.  This particular bird liked to climb up braids or whatever it could to get to a high point.

I visited Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge many times.  Most of the time I did the loop on my bike. 

Roseate Spoonbill and Reddish Egret -

Lunch?-

Close-up of Juvenille Yellow Crowned Night Heron - san_juv_yellow_crowned_night_heron

Adult Yellow Crowned Night Heron -

san_ycnh

2 pictures of Spoonbills feeding -

san_spoonbill_feeding2

One day while riding my bike in the refuge I watched this pelican, it looked like he was doing his morning exercises.

And then some just relaxing -

I have too many pictures for one blog, so the next blog will have pictures of interesting beach creatures, sunrise and sunset pictures…

No comments:

Post a Comment