Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Hart, MI

On my way up to the Upper Peninsula, I decided to stop in Hart, MI staying at John Gurney Park June 2 – 6.   This park is one of the original Automobile Tourist Camps built in the 1920’s.  These parks were built once cars became more popular and people needed places to stay.

Some things are just not as fun as they used to be.  While driving around, my car hit 200,000 miles.

hart_car2hart_car1

 

 

 

 

 

 

It used to be fun watching all the 9’s roll to 0’s.  But these days it just changes!

I went to Grand Rapids to run some errands and also revisit the Meijer Gardens and Sculpture park.  I visited it in 2011 and blogged about it here - Grand Haven Blog

They have a beautiful atrium that I walked through twice.  Somehow I think I missed the birds in the atrium when I was here in 2011. The atrium is about 3 stories high and some plants are almost that tall!

hart_miejers_park_atrhart_miejers_park_bird1hart_miejers_park_bird2hart_miejers_park_bird4

My favorite sculptures are still Mad Mom and Espaliered Girl which I posted on the 2011 blog.  Some different sculptures I found interesting are below.

Figure on a Trunk -

hart_miejers_park_figure_on_a_trunk

Tools in their Places-

hart_miejers_park_tools_in_theior_places

They have a kid’s area with a door that kids seem to love.

hart_miejers_park_kid

Pelican Flower – this is one of the largest flowers and puts off an odor that smells like rotting meat.  (I did not smell it!)

hart_miejers_park_pitcherplant

While walking around the gardens I saw several types of water lilies.  This first one reminds me of Pacman.

hart_miejers_park_pacman

hart_miejers_park_lily

One of the reasons I chose to stay at John Gurney Park was the Hart-Montague rail trail.  I biked it a couple of times going through woods, by farms and through small towns. 

hart_montague_trl

No comments:

Post a Comment