Friday, January 17, 2014

Skidaway Island State Park and Jekyll Island, GA

Well, I start off 2014 behind in my blogging, big surprise!!!  I am currently in Myakka River State Park, Fl (Sarasota), but need to finish Dec, 2013 in my blog. 

After leaving the shop in Auburn, GA, I headed to Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah, GA.   I was there Dec 6 – 14.  They have Water & Electric sites like many state parks, but they also some premium spots that are Full Hook-ups (they have sewer hookups along with water and electric). But those sites are $10.00 more. I decided to go with the cheaper spots as Georgia’s state parks aren’t that cheap. I paid $30.00 per night, but the campground was great!  I have noticed that many state parks have gone up in price.  The park has a few trails and a great campground.  I enjoyed several of the trails including the Big Ferry Trail, which is the only trail you can bike on.

It started off as a wide trail, but didn’t take too long to get much narrower.  But it was fun, even with all the roots in the trail.

skid_big_ferry_trail

On one part of the trail is an old still.  A nearby sign stated that from the early 1900’s up until the construction of the first bridge in the late 1960’s Skidaway was a hideout for moonshiners.  In the picture below, you can see the axe marks made when the still was destroyed by law officials.

skid_big_ferry_trail_still Also on the trail is a birdwatching tower.

skid_big_ferry_trail_tower

I didn’t do too much in Savannah, but I did go to Bonaventure Cemetery and attended the Bonaventure Historical society walk.  One of the graves is Gracie Watson.  She was a young girl who died of pneumonia and supposedly her ghost wanders around the cemetery some nights.

It was a foggy dreary day, when I visited – just right for a cemetery visit.

My next stop was Jekyll Island.  While there I enjoyed biking and walking.  Most mornings, I walked a loop that included a quick stop at Driftwood Beach. 

When biking around the island, I stopped at St. Andrews Beach picnic area for a quick break. 

I also found a bench just next to one of the crossovers was a great rest area.  One day, while here I saw a ferret that had escaped from someone and watched him go into the ocean for a swim. 

I have always liked the pictures of big bridges that appear to be floating above fog.  While on a drive from Jekyll Island to Bainbridge, I saw this --

From Jekyll Island, I headed back to the North Georgia Mountains to spend Christmas week.  On the Friday after Christmas, we had our family get together. 

I wrote this about a week ago while at Myakka River, but I did not have a very good internet connection, so I am just now posting this blog.  I am currently at Fort DeSoto Park in Tierra Verde, FL!

3 comments:

  1. I just loved Skidaway but like you am finding that the state parks are now as expensive as private parks. I think we may have been at Myakka River at the same time. We left there this past Tuesday after being there a week. Sorry we missed you. Are you at the Fort Desota that is a county park and WAY expensive outside of Clearwater? I was there once and loved it but it's too pricey for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I was at my Myakka January 3rd thru the 8th. From there I went to Oscar Scherer State Park and then on down to Fort DeSoto. Fort DeSoto is a Pinellas county park and is south of St Petersburg. It is pricey, but I really like this park. I saw on your blog that you guys went to the RV show on Wed., I went on Thursday.

      Pam

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this post as I also plan on visiting the beaches along the East coast.

    ReplyDelete