Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Oscar Scherer State Park, Osprey, FL

From Jan. 9 – 15 I stayed at Oscar Scherer State Park, which is known for their Scrub Jays.  The Florida Scrub Jay is on the decline and there are only about 30 Florida Scrub Jays in the park, just a few years ago there were more than 100.  While there I did a short walk trying to find one on my own, but I only saw regular Blue Jays.  I was concerned about joining the Scrub Tour because of my toe, but decided to anyway.  I let the leader know that if it started bothering me I would turn around.  Fortunately he knew where they were usually spotted and it was fairly close to the start of the Blue trail.  

The Jays are quite friendly and one of them walked around the 7 or 8 of us on the nature tour.  Walking on the soft sandy trail wasn’t too bad on my toe, but the next day I could tell I had over done it. So I went biking.  (by this time my little toe, the next toe and an inch or so down my foot were purple and/or red) The Legacy trail is another nice Rails to Trail trail and it goes through the park.  I rode it several times to Venice and beyond where it becomes another trail.    It is basically flat, thank goodness, with the only hills being a couple of bridges.

I am not good at hills and am a bit ashamed to say that the runner on the hill headed up to the bridge made it to the top before I did.  But I was trying to bike and take pictures at the same time!!  I beat him on the other side!!  Going downhill of course!!

One day, I went into town to run a few errands and ended up spending an hour or so at Venice Beach.

From Oscar Scherer I headed to Fort DeSoto County Park (Pinellas County). 

No comments:

Post a Comment