Thursday, March 1, 2012

South Bay, FL (Lake Okeechobee) – Part 2

One day I visited the southern end of the Everglades.  I started the day by going to the Anhinga Trail.  If you ever go the Everglades and only have time for one thing, I would suggest this short trail.  I enjoyed this trail so much that I went back and walked it again later the same day.

The first thing that got my attention was a sign in the parking lot.

And just around the corner, I saw this -

I didn’t see any damage, but could see how it could happen.

I have seen Anhingas before, but saw several nesting on this trail.

Great Blue Heron -

I saw several Green Herons -

I don’t know what this Green Heron was doing, but it was interesting to watch.

Wood Stork -

I also enjoyed the landscape -

And the trees with air plants on them-

In the morning, many of the alligators were swimming around.  By the afternoon most were sunning. (with Black vultures beside them)

Some gators were nice enough to give the tourist a great view.

That same day I went to Flamingo, another part of the Everglades.  There I saw for the first time American Crocodiles.  

In walking around the marina in the Flamingo area I saw an Osprey just 20 feet or so above the dock. 

Brown Pelican -

In my Tierra Verde, Fl blog, I posted a picture and asked if anyone knew what it was.  Sherry was first and right – sorry, no prize.  It was a Manatee nose.   The picture in that blog and the first one below was taken while I was out on the dock and the Manatee was just a few feet below me.

From South Bay, I headed to Hillsborough River State Park. 

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! I so wanted to get to the Everglades this winter but life got in the way so thanks for this view.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete