Monday, June 20, 2011

Jamestown, TN and Big South Fork (part 1)

I thought about staying at the campground in Big South Fork National Park,  but since I was going to stay 2 weeks, I decided to stay at Maple Hill RV campground.  

One of my main reasons for coming to this area was the Big South Fork National River and Recreational Area.  I hiked the Slave Falls loop hike one day.  The falls were not great, but the hike was!  Below is the first of many rock houses (I would have called this one a small cave).  This is Indian Rock House.

 

I enjoy looking at the different colors and patterns in the rocks.

james_slave_falls_trail2

Hiking around huge rocks, over arches, under over hangs – I love it!!!!

james_slave_falls_needle_arch

The area is known for it’s many arches.  The one above is Needle Arch.

As I mentioned, Slave Falls wasn’t that great.  But the trail was well worth the hike!!  This is one of several falls where the water falls over a rock overhang and a trail leads behind the falls.

Not far from Slave Falls, is Twin Arches.  The trail to these arches is listed as moderate to difficult. I believe the reason is due to the access down.  In some write-ups I read the trail has steep stairs; in other write-ups, they were called ladders – I don’t know what they are, but they were steep.  They did keep people off the fragile sandstone.

The North Arch is 62 feet high with a 51 foot clearance.  The trees kind of hide this one.

The South Arch is 103 feet high with a 70 foot clearance.

Close to Big South Fork is Pickett State Park.  I went there several days for hiking or just a picnic by the river. One of my favorite hikes was a loop that consisted of Natural Bridge and Hazard Cave.

While looking at Natural Bridge, some other hikers crossed the arch/bridge -

On hot days, Hazard Cave is a great place to cool off.  I’m guessing it was at least 10 degrees cooler.  At first I thought the first picture was the cave, but as I continued I realized the actual cave was a bit further down--

Even though it was hot, I enjoyed the trail. 

I am always intrigued when I see a tree and how they grow around rocks. 

After hiking, I sat at one of the picnic tables and enjoyed my lunch by the river.

I really enjoyed this area and have too many pictures for one blog, so I will publish this one and post part 2  of Jamestown, TN in a day or 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment