Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Galax, VA

After leaving Georgia, I needed to slowly make my way to Michigan.  I knew I wanted to stop in Indiana for a short time, but I wasn’t really sure what else I wanted to do.  With a little research I found a few places in Ohio that I wanted to visit.  But before that I needed a stop and had seen that the NorthEast Lazy Daze group was holding a get together in Galax, VA.  My timing wasn’t very good as I was there about 2 weeks before they were.  But it gave me an idea of a place to visit the last few days of April and the first few days of May.

It rained a good bit while there, so I didn’t do too much.  But one grey and rainy day, I headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway, which was only a mile or so from my campground.  Below was taken just before I got on the parkway.

I did a little bit of walking, but most trails were muddy.  I stopped for a while at Mabry Mills and walked some there as much of it was paved and the sun tried to come out!

The most fun I had was enjoying the New River Trail State Park.  This is an interesting park.  It is really a rails to trail trail, but it is a state park also.  I walked 4 miles one day and biked about 20 miles another day.  The spur trail from Galax is not really the New River, but is a huge creek that leads to the river. 

 

Above is my 10 mile turn around point.  I got off my bike to rest my “bikers butt” and was happy to see some Bloodroot blooming.

From Galax, I headed to Hocking Hills State Park in Logan, Ohio.  It’s a place I loved and took a lot of pictures so it may take me a while to go through all my pictures!!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Bloodroot. Sorry it rained all over you in Virginia. Mt Rogers is a great place to explore near Abingdon which is also a cool little town as is Damascus which is where the AT Trail Days is held. This year May 10-18. The Virginia Creeper Rails to Trails is there as well. We're on our way to Michigan too. Wish we were coming from the south so we could stop at Hocking Hills but we're coming from the East.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We remember how much we liked the Old Man's Cave trail at Hocking Hills. Didn't have a good camera then so look forward to your photos.

    ReplyDelete