Monday, March 17, 2014

Jonathan Dickinson State Park, Hobe Sound, FL

Late February and early March, I stayed at Jonathon Dickinson State Park in Hobe Sound, FL.  My Florida plans were based around this reservation as it is extremely difficult to get a reservation here.  I stayed at the full hookup campground, which was nice, and the spot was big.  But there was absolutely no privacy. 

I was surprised that my neighbors were the same neighbors that I had in the Flamingo campground in the Everglades!  Small World!

While there, I walked some, but biked quite a bit.   But the most fun I had was when I went to the Blowing Rock Preserve.  This park is another great Nature Conservancy area that they have worked hard at preserving.  When I went was overcast and the waves were not very big, so I didn’t see anywhere near the plumes of water shooting 50 feet skyward that I had read about.  But just seeing the rocky shore was quite different for Florida.

Before I left, it started clearing up but the ocean was fairly calm.

On my last full day in Hobe Sound, I decided to go back and see if it was different.  As I drove there, I saw several surfers so I was hoping that the waves would be better.  Once I got to the park, there is a short walk thru the trees and sea grapes.  While walking I could hear the waves so I was looking forward to it.

Wow, what a difference!!!  I took so many pictures and could not decide on what to post, so here are a bunch of them.

The picture below is the same as the one above without the waves and the water shooting out of the blow hole!

The waves were great, even without hitting the rocks as you can see above!

I took some video and am going to attempt to post one of the shorter ones.  Well, I tried it but Windows Live Writer requires a You Tube Account and I don’t have one and am not sure I want one.  If I can figure it out I will post it later.

After spending a couple of hours there, I headed back, but first walked a short distance down one of their trails that goes through many sea grapes and parallels the ocean.

From here, I headed north to St. George State Park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment