Sunday, February 16, 2014

Fort Myers, FL

I stayed at Woodsmoke Camping Resort in Fort Myers January 30 – February 5.  Woodsmoke is mostly permanent Park models or  long-term winter visitors, so it is not quite the type park I am used to.  It was ok and my neighbors were very nice. 

While in Fort Myers, I went to Sanibel Island a few times.  I only went to the beach twice  and not for long as it was too hot for the beach.  It was in the 80’s and humid.  (Sorry to those who have been freezing this winter, but I prefer the beach in the 60’s and 70’s) 

I parked my car at Ding Darling National Wildlife refuge and then biked from there.  I rode the wildlife road at least once and most days twice.  I am not going to post too many pictures since I have been there previously and blogged about it several times. 

I had seen a Hooded Merganser before, but never a male.  They are an interesting looking bird.  I saw him on 2 different days.

I watched the Little Blue Heron below enjoy his (or her) lunch.

I must have been there at lunch time as I watched the Yellow-Crowned Night-Heron below catch and eat several small crabs. 

One day, I went to Corkscrew Audubon Swamp Sanctuary.  I did not see too many birds, but I enjoyed the scenery and the walk.  I did see a juvenile Night-Heron catch a fish and then watched 2 Hawks chase and fight him for it. He kept the fish for a while, but after the third time of being chased, he lost it.

Before chase --

After chase and looking a little frazzled -- 

After Fort Myers, I headed to Big Cypress National Preserve where I stayed at Midway Campground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment