Sunday, November 4, 2012

Townsend, TN–part 2

All of the pictures below were taken from Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  I visited it probably 10 or more times during the month of September.

I like to visit in the morning as the wildlife is a bit more active during that time.  Sunrise in the cove --  

I saw bear several times.  Once I saw a mom and her 3 cubs, but didn’t have time to pull my camera out before they got out of sight.

None of my bear pictures are that good.  For some reason when I suggested to the bear that they quit moving, they did not listen.  Also I am not as stupid as some tourist.  I stay my distance, it is illegal to approach closer than 50 yards.  Not everyone obeys--

I have visited Cades Cove many times in the past, but I have never stopped at every stop.  I attempted that on one of my trips this time, but ended up skipping 2 stops.  One of the first stops is the John Oliver Cabin --

town_methodist_ch_cc

There are a couple of churches in the cove, but I had to post the Methodist Church since I am Methodist.  I knew that when you see the 2 doors it typically meant that at one time women went in one door and men in the other.  I didn’t think Methodist ever did this.  I found out that this church borrowed the plans from another church and just left the door that way.

I enjoy old cemeteries and Cades Cove has a few.  This tombstone caught my eye--

I enjoyed the Elijah Oliver stop.  It was about a mile hike to get to the cabin and other buildings. 

Elijah Oliver cabin -

Gristmill close to Cades Cove Visitor Center -

Mushrooms -

I enjoy looking at and photographing the mountains when they look kind of like an abstract painting, when you can just see the outlines of the mountains.  Either early in the morning or on foggy days.  They never turn out as well as I want, but here are a few of my favorites--

From here I headed to Myrtle Beach for a couple of weeks, before making my way back to Georgia.  The next blog will be about my trip to Myrtle Beach and Murrels Inlet (Huntington Beach State Park).

No comments:

Post a Comment